Wednesday, October 15, 2008
The Five Love Languages
When Joey and I became engaged to be married, I had a friend and fellow Camp Smile A Mile volunteer mention a book called "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman to me. He said that it was a great book and a must read before Joey and I got married. Well, I went to church with Mrs. Alunda and Mrs. Steudemann had the book, I told her that I had heard it was a great book. She was about to donate it to the church library, but gave it to me instead and when I get finished reading it, I'll send it to the church library. The first chapter is titled: "What happens to love after the wedding?" While I don't want to blog about every aspect of the book, I thought it would be good to share some of the main topics here on the blog. This chapter talks about how the author was on a plane ride when a man asks him what do you do for a living? He tells him about being a marriage counselor and the question arises "What happens to love after the wedding?" The man explains he didn't treat his wife any differently than before the wedding and reassured her often of how beautiful she was and how much she meant to him. The problem is people have overlooked one fact: People speak different love languages and that there are 5 basic love languages - Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. If we want our significant other to feel the love that we are trying to communicate, we must express it in THEIR love language. Have you ever thought about this? I haven't. I tell Joey I love him all of the time, but maybe he just wants me to cook him something to show it. haha. I'm going to continue to read and post blogs here as I come to each new chapter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing...I might need to borrow this!
Post a Comment